One Degree is a nonprofit technology-driven organization that is revolutionizing the way low-income families access community resources. Our mission is to empower people to create a path out of poverty for themselves and for their communities. We create modern tech-driven solutions that help families find, access, and manage nonprofit and social services.
Thousands of people in the San Francisco Bay Area and Los Angeles County rely on One Degree's core platform (www.1degree.org) to access health care, food banks, employment services, and much more. Through One Home (OneHomeBayArea.org), we are working to ensure every family has a safe and stable home by making it easy to find and apply for affordable housing.
We’re a team of 10 full-time staff, with a solid foundation (supported by Google, Y Combinator, the Kresge Foundation, Tipping Point Community, and many others). Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, and working with a diverse team of mission-driven colleagues, you will be responsible for overseeing our program to ensure that thousands of low-income families find the resources they need to overcome poverty.
The Vice President (VP) of Program will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for One Degree’s program area. The position will be a part of the senior management team that drives the strategy for the organization and represents One Degree on a local, regional, and national basis. With a staff of 8 (which include staff working in social service referral, marketing, product development, information management and customer support), the VP of Program will initially develop deep knowledge of each department, all projects and products, program operations, and One Degree’s strategic plan.
The VP of Program will focus on the following three areas: (1) program leadership and management, (2) external relationships, and (3) impact and knowledge management.
1. Program Leadership & Management:
- Work with program team to set the programmatic vision for how we help families on a day-to-day basis and make an impact on people’s lives in the long-term
- Enhance, flesh out, and implement organizational vision as established in One Degree’s strategic plan
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence and ensure our products meet our programmatic needs
- Attract, develop, coach, and retain high-performing team members, and empower them to elevate their level of responsibility and performance
- Work with staff to develop systems to ensure consistent, high-quality project management
- Provide leadership in development of inter-team communication and cohesiveness, sustaining culture and supporting staff during organizational growth
2. External Relationships:
- Cultivate and manage existing relationships with high-level partner organizations and clients
- Develop new strategic partnerships
- Evangelize One Degree to large and small audiences as a representative of organizational leadership
3. Impact & Knowledge Management:
- Set and oversee core metrics and set quarterly and yearly programmatic goals to meet our long-term mission
- Develop systems, processes, and tools to better support the facilitation, collection, and sharing of knowledge
- Ensure that key program outcomes are evaluated and leveraged for community and organizational impact
- Work collaboratively with the senior management team to integrate cross departmental activities and functions.
If you have the following experiences and qualifications...
- Program Leadership and Management: This individual will have taken a hands-on approach in leading a variety of initiatives. The ideal candidate will have a track record of effectively leading a performance-based and outcome-based program and staff. She or he will have developed and operationalized strategies that have taken a program or organization to the next stage of growth
- Team Building and Development: The successful candidate will have recruited, managed, and developed a strong team of staff, program/project managers, and, preferably, product development professionals. This individual will serve as a “player/coach” to motivate and mentor his or her team
- Exceptional Communication and Influencing Skills: As an advocate for One Degree, the VP of Program will have strong written and verbal communication skills. She or he will be a persuasive, credible, and polished communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills. This individual will have demonstrated experience working collaboratively with internal as well as external stakeholders, such as high-level partner organizations and funders. Ideally, this person will have served as an effective spokesperson at the regional or national level.
- Commitment to social justice, equity, and innovation: Successful candidates will have a point of view (though not necessarily expertise) about how technology can be used to empower families to break the cycle of poverty. She or he will have a strong commitment to making an impact at scale and innovating in a sector in which he or she is already familiar.
- A Bachelor's degree
- 10 or more years of management experience (preferably in the nonprofit sector), with increasing levels of responsibility in management
- Solid judgment, strong analytical skills, basic business intuition, and demonstrated leadership skills
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Experience in scaling organizational programs and change management
- Experience managing OR working alongside technology roles -- although technology expertise is not required, this role requires a demonstrated understanding of how engineering, design, and product management function together and towards an outcome
- Ability to handle a variety of constituencies, manage multiple tasks simultaneously and thrive in a complex environment with multiple priorities
- Strong work ethic, impeccable integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed with demonstrated passion for One Degree’s mission and commitment to working collaboratively with a management team of senior professionals
Then you should…
- submit a cover email and resume by August 25 here.
One Degree does not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, disability, religion, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, military and veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation. Employment is contingent upon a criminal background and reference check.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team, and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.